Aug 3, 2021

Keeping Simone Biles in my Prayers

I have never been able to do a cartwheel, roundoff, backflip, or any type of flip. Even when I determined inwardly and told my brain to run fast, bend toward the ground with my hands, then with my own arms supporting my body into an upside down vertical position, flip myself forward, to land upright. NEVER. BEEN. ABLE. TO. DO. IT. I was a cheerleader in high school... I could jump decently, do splits, kick high, pick up and catch people who weighed 100+ lbs, even could do a full 10-15 minute dance routines several times a day... BUT... even with practice and workshops and coaches... I could never somersault or tumble. NEVER. BEEN. ABLE. TO. DO. IT. As a child, I participated in karate competitions. I won several medals and trophies for katas. And because I was of a few females who participated in the sport, I would have to spar with males. I only placed once in sparring with boys... but I always beat the girls. Even in junior high at Schwab, I got into a fight with a boy. I left with a scratch on my face and my dignity; he left embarrassed. BUT! I NEVER WAS GOOD AT GYMNASTICS! NEVER EVER! AND NEVER WILL BE!

I'm writing this to say... my simplistic novice ideal of doing a bare minimum cartwheel has been insurmountable at every point in my lifetime. It's not because I never wanted to or that I didn't work hard to attain the goal. I just was never physically able to do it.  So I can't even imagine how it feels emotionally for Simone Biles to not feel the mental connection between her brain and her physical body. Because it is something she should know how to do like breathing air, right? Just 5 years ago, we were watching her break records, create new moves, and win medals. She is The GOAT! A lot has happened in those 5 years though. I don't think as human beings we realize how integral  the health of our brains, our thought process, and our mental well-being along with life experiences affect our entire body. It's not as simple as we believe. If it was that simple, I'd be an Olympian too! 

Stress & trauma have major affects on the brain. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) not only affects soldiers after war, but people who have survived childhood traumas. Miss Biles has experienced much in her young life. And I'll just keep her in my prayers for her peace of mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment